Thursday, 12 August 2010

September 2010 - The Robin Hood Marathon

On Sunday 12th September I will be running the Robin Hood Marathon in Nottingham. I guess an obvious question is why?!

Well if you have read the previous posts to this blog you will understand that I have some unfinished business which is to run a marathon in under 4 hrs.... but also you will understand how important and relevant the previous marathons were to setting up CYM. In September, the charity will be 2 years old and I wanted to mark the occasion with a challenge that I could do which would not only raise money for CYM but would hopefully encourage others to do more exercise and take on a challenge of their own. I looked for a suitable marathon to do... and the only realistic option was the Robin Hood one on 12th September. Although I would love to have gone back to New York or do one like Chicago or another big city marathon it was going to cost far too much money.

So a few months ago I signed up to do this one... and I was determined to train hard and make sure I got under 4 hrs! Unfortunately the plan to train hard has been scuppered by a long standing foot injury... which meant that I was not able to run for several months and only in the last few weeks have I been back to running again... though still with a lot of pain and discomfort. In the last few months I have been to the physio, the doctors, the hopstial and had an x-ray..... and been given drugs that were very unpleasant on the stomach! However, the problem has persisted and I have finally got an MRI scan booked for 20th August to look at the foot!

I did manage to complete the MK half marathon a few weeks ago in a time of 1hr 56 mins.... which was very tough and showed my lack of fitness. But despite the problems... I am going to run and will give it my best shot. I am aware of how hard it will be and it will be incredibly painful....  and there is a very real chance that I won't get under 4 hrs.....  but if I don't try and give it a go.... I will never know!

It is more important to raise money for CYM.... so please sponsor me at http://www.justgiving.com/CYM

Many thanks.. and I will keep you updated!

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment